Wednesday, June 9, 2010

David Lebovitz

Once upon a time (or last summer), I read a book called "The Sweet Life in Paris," a memoir of an American living in Paris. It was enough to convince me that I did not belong in Paris for a long period of time. I could never hack it with the Parisians! Fashionistas who are fast-paced, hard around the edges, notorious for not liking Americans- they would eat me alive.

Still, I became a fan of the author David Lebovitz. His resume is impressive-an extremely experienced pastry chef, author of several dessert cookbooks, and appearances in countless magazines and on television. I'll never forget turning to "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel and seeing him show Andrew Zimmern how to make bacon and eggs ice cream. (Yeah, I know...sounds disgusting. But it looked GOOD!) So when I heard he was coming to Rome to run a series of "Gelato Tours" and to promote his new book, Ready for Dessert, I knew I had to go meet him.

I looked online to find the location where he would be having his book signing, but what I really found was that it was only until 8pm. My clock read 8:01. So there I go, sprinting through the middle of Viale di Trastevere trying to catch the tram at each stop, only to have the doors close on me each time. After the 3rd time, I just keep running. Convinced I'm too late, I finally stumble into what was more like a private party than a book signing. I was expecting David to be sitting there in a bookstore, similar to Giada de Laurentiis' book signing at the Border's back in March. I instead found myself in a small, quant courtyard with about 15 people all in the middle of conversations. I certainly felt like I did not belong there. In my lateness, there weren't even any more books. BUT! There WAS wine, cheese, and of course, desserts- an array of cookies from a bakery in Trastevere. Rosé, pizza bianca, ginger cookies, and David Lebovitz.I introduce myself and awkwardly tell him I'm a fan. We talk for a little bit. One of the first things he asks me is if I have an Italian boyfriend. (Is that so crazy for an American to be living in Rome and NOT be interested in finding an Italian to marry?!) He talks of Paris and how the women there don't smile because they want people to fear them. Which makes me afraid to go to Paris. There were so many things I wanted to ask him about his life and his books and food but it just simply wasn't the time and place for that. I respect his strict "No Flash" rule when I ask to take a picture, which turns into us playing with flash functions on our cameras. Of course, he takes a picture of my hideous flip-flops (my Rome fashion "faux pas") and my tired feet. He's right. Flash is NO good.The moral of the story is that I will be purchasing my copy of David's book online. I didn't get it signed, but I did get to meet Mr. Lebovitz and gained some advice. Life advice from David Lebovitz: Wear sunscreen. Don't quit your day job.

Said to the girl who is apple red from the sun and HAS no day job. I guess there's always gelato!

2 comments:

  1. You capture these moments so wonderfully, truly an artist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing captures for the reader: The panic about missing the moment, the frustration of getting there, and the surprise of getting more out of your arrival then you even dreamed. Your proud father reads on.

    ReplyDelete